Thursday, May 26, 2011

Prayer and Play Ball

Smithtown Gospel Tabernacle Mission Convention was a 5 day event. In addition to the Saturday banquet we attended the Sunday morning service with Pastor Ron Braaten from Belize. Once I saw the pictures of the his family down there my eyes started tearing up. It made me really miss Linda and the kids. The International Lite Bite was Sunday evening, a celebration of food from different cultures prepared by people from the church representing their own nationality. Tons of food, tons of people and great fellowship. Leaving that evening I couldn't help but notice the joy and happiness I was feeling from my head down to my toes. Connecting with the few New Yorkers I knew as well as meeting new people for the first time was such a joyful experience. My sister Jacque seemed to be uplifted from the event too. Her and I were having fun practicing our New York lingo on the ride home,"Forget about it. Get outta here." :) Tuesday evening I attended the Missions Prayer Partners time. This was awesome! Hearing about what God is doing through each missionary in all parts of the world, what they plan to do, and what they need prayer for gave me a beautiful picture of how He is the vine and we are the branches, growing and reaching the nations. There is some amazing kingdom work being done through these missionaries.  Wednesday morning worship and prayer is where more interceding took place and a few prophetic messages were given too. Sweet words of Him wanting to refresh us and wanting to forgive us of our confessed sins. It was a blessed time.   

One of the mindsets I'm trying to keep as I travel is to take advantage of every opportunity as they come; such as serving, learning, praying or any unique experience the location or time provides. This just happens to be baseball season so you bet I'm going to a Yankees game while I'm in New York! My friend Josh got the tickets and after prayer we were off to the 1:05 game. New York traffic- forget about it, honestly I don't know how long we were in the car driving to and from the stadium. God  poured grace on our car ride, and we both shared our testimonies. without a dent in the car (amen) and even had time for a quick $2 hot dog before the game. The Yankees' 6 game losing streak finally took a turn for the better and they won 7 to 3. Couldn't have asked for a more gorgeous day (80 some degrees). Nice new stadium, pretty simplistic in design but drenched in history. Similar to the Mariners' Dave Niehaus, the Yankees' long time announcer Bob Sheppard passed away recently. Derek Jeter asked to have Bob's voice introduce him for his at bats. I picked up the different voice right away, and can hear how it was such an iconic rich voice. Kind of neat. One interesting fact Josh pointed out about the Yankees was that in the late 1990's when they won three World Series there were several Christians on the team at the time. Many of them met regularly for
Bible study and prayer and achieved the goal of every professional baseball player as a team. Hmmm, uncanny don't you think? Anyway, we grabbed some Greek food that I have been craving for a while and rushed to the church for the worship and prayer service that concluded the Mission Convention.

God Bless,

No comments:

Post a Comment