Friday, September 9, 2011

Are You Ready?


Full house for evening services during the conference!
The 5 day Equipping For The Last Days Conference was pretty intense. There were two sermons in the morning and two in the evening, worship that went past 10pm and then dinner. A few times we didn’t get home until 11:30 PM. Good jokes, a few tears and many praises to God. There were 6 pastors giving the messages, Geroge Thomas (Chicago), Isaacs Drew (Oklahoma), Tony & Heather Gonzalez (Los Angeles), Bob Forseth (Seattle/Minneapolis) and Dimmitris Lekkas (Athens).
Pastors: Isaacs, Bob, Ted, Chris, George, Heather & Tony, Paul & Maria
Some of the topics covered at the conference were; what makes someone a warrior for Christ, dealing with the knowledge of good and evil, surrendering to God, healing, God as our corner stone and focusing on the life and the spirit- not the problems. It was good teaching that provoked conviction and I had a good number of notes when it was all said and done. The alter calls were well filled as the congregation responded to the message. For me, the message that really hit home was when we split up men in one room and women in another and Heather Gonzalez spoke. She started our time saying she wasn’t going to talk about boys or men or husbands or kids etc. but wanted to touch on a bigger subject, one that usually hits women in particular, very hard. 
Letting go of control, surrendering our plans to God. Not an easy thing, I admit and since being a believer, the Lord has helped me in this area but there is still and always room for improvement. I've been praying a lot recently for God to clarify my calling, for Him to give me vision a dream, anything for how I am to glorify Him in my life. And after hearing this message and praying at the alter I had to laugh at myself because knowing me, if He did give me a vision I would try to plan it all out, every detail! Essentially doing it in my strength and not His, which simply will not work! Thank you Heavenly Father for knowing what's best for me and having the perfect timing for everything. I praise your mighty and glorious name and take comfort in Your plans for me! Just a side note as well, it is my observation from the people I've encountered here that there is more of a sense of urgency here than in America. Basically, Americans need to wake up is the general feeling I got and rightfully so. I don't know if it's because over here they are closer to a lot of the action that is stirring up amongst opposing faith(s) but I feel an overall greater sense of urgency here in Europe.
Youth worship team practicing.
Ok back to the conference. The youth have their own section in the church to sit. They are the first to start clapping and the only ones who jump up and down when an upbeat song is played. When there is an alter call they gather in a circle together and minister and pray for each other. It’s beautiful.  I am blown away by them.  The youth group is about 20 kids or so who love the Lord. I’ve spent a good amount of time with them and am very encouraged by this young generation in their church. They have servant hearts, coming early to church and staying late to help out. They spend all day in between the two Sunday services at the church fellowshipping, doing their studies together, playing music, playing games etc. Praise God multiple generations are "getting it" at this church!
Tomato & cucumber platter
In between sermons there was lunch provided and dinner provided after the evening service.  Before the first sermon I met up with Maria in the kitchen and helped where I could in prepping for the day’s food events. I learned this neat way to fold up a plastic grocery bag. What’s cool about it is, that they use the same technique to fold the dough when making these little Greek savory pies (filled with cheese and or spinach). Never know what you are going to learn or talk about in the kitchen! Maria is the sister of Pastor Paul and is such a sweetheart. She taught me how to say “How are you? ” Anyway,  I cleaned, chopped up and arranged on platters vegetables, fruits and pastries.
The very first thing I made was deviled eggs. I had a crowd of 6 people watching me (probably thinking –silly American) while I creamed the yolks (pressing them through a thin mesh strainer-have to get crafty with what tool you got) and added mayonnaise, salt and pepper etc. Honestly I think they thought I added too much mayonnaise and they couldn’t figure out what I was going to do with a plastic sandwich bag, which I used to pipe the yolk mixture into the crevice of the halved egg. To finish I sprinkled each egg with some Paprika- simple and easy. Every egg was consumed so hopefully that means they enjoyed them! I was so blessed to have been able to help in the kitchen and listen to every sermon in the conference!

God Bless,


No comments:

Post a Comment