Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tirana

Albanian Flag
My first week in Tirana was getting to see some of what Chris and Laura are involved in. Chris is quite the visionary and Laura is an extremely hard worker, the two seem to complement each other very well. Their network of ministries spans 3 countries here in the Balkan region of Europe so we only saw a portion of it all. Bob, Pat and I had the pleasure of visiting one of Chris’ visions in progress, the rehabilitation center for handicapped kids. 

Inside the restaurant
God’s grace has been on this project from its inception with the physical building being donated and constructed by one group of generous people, the interior walls completed with the quality volunteering hands of another group. Still needs electrical, equipment, staff etc. but as you know, our Lord is our one provider. Can’t wait to see the impact this place will have once it gets up and running. The second place we visited was the terminally ill children’s wing of the local hospital here in Tirana. 
John 3:16 on sugar packet
 Laura organizes catered cinema days for the kids with pizza and gifts and lots of fun. My heart really responded to that idea. As we were walking through the halls I was getting ideas of a fun craft day I could organize for them. We spoke with the woman who oversees this area of the hospital and asked what the needs are. She was very humble and sweet and thanked us for visiting and our interest to help. Not the easiest of days, reminds me to praise God for the healthy kids in my life.

Outdoor seating at restaurant
The Stephen Center Restaurant and Bed & Breakfast are rather nice. I love the outdoor seating, perfect in the cool mornings before the heat and traffic has set in. My mission in Albania is to kind of act like Gordon Ramsey on Kitchen Nightmares. Without the swearing, loud outbursts and violent behavior. Essentially, I’m here to critique, for lack of a better word, the restaurant. Everything from the wait staff, timing, catering, service, menu, taste, organization, costs and income. 
Chinese Chicken Salad
It’s more of a consulting role I’m in right now. What makes it pretty interesting is that I’m alone in the kitchen with 3-7 Albanian speaking staff with only 2 somewhat speaking English. I’m also working closely with the accountant to pull up records to analyze cash flows, which I enjoy as well. Praise be to God, with the college I’ve done, business administration and culinary arts, I’m pulling from both those backgrounds to hopefully help improve The Stephen Center and keep it running well!

International Protestant Assembly
Sunday the six of us Bob, Chris, Pat, Ken, Linda (vacationing missionaries from Czech Republic) and I went to the International Protestant Assembly where Bob gave the message. After being in Greece for 3 weeks it was nice having an English speaking pastor as well as English worship music. There were about 100 or so people in attendance and quite a lively bunch at that.
Pastor Bob Forseth Preaching
Two older gentlemen were dancing in the aisle and I heard several whistles during worship as well. Many of the songs were upbeat with the sound slowly building in intensity. Just so much fun! Creating music is such an awesome art and I'm gaining more and more respect for those very talented people who do that :) Visiting churches around the world has been an amazing part of my adventure. I love that I can go to a church and be welcomed by God's children and instantly feel at home. We are all part of one huge family in Christ. That's the way I felt visiting this church for the first time, like family.

God Bless,

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie so love the work you are doing! I am thanking God you are able to do this. They are bery blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete