Saturday, October 15, 2011

Street fair & the Dentist


This was a fun event that came together pretty quickly. I had no idea other than we were serving hamburgers, hot dogs and some nachos. Laura, Pat and I went to church and headed to the street fair that was celebrating 20 years of renewed friendship between the peoples of the United States and Albania. Things were already in full gear when we got there and I was just planning on putting on an apron and helping out. It was crazy busy, constant hungry people from about 12:30 to 4:00.
This was the first time The Stephen Center crew has done anything like this, the constant flow of customers for fast food was new for them and I think a good learning experience too. I had a great time, just trying to stay on top of replenishing the buns, cheese, mayo, and lettuce. At one point we ran out of relish for the hot dogs while there were about 15 hot dogs left on the grill. The younger chef told me not to cut any more buns since we are out of relish. 
Laura, US Ambassador Alex & Chris
A conclusion he came to that no relish= no hot dogs ordered. I glanced at the grill saw the dogs and said the grill dictates what we prep, if you see hot dogs cooking, we prep what we have, if you see hamburgers cooking, you prep the buns. It was also one of the longest times I was working along side them in the mix of things. A lot of my work recently has been in front of my computer. Oh and I almost forgot, U.S Ambassador to Albania Alexander Arvizu made an appearance and got a hotdog! Who would have thought I would see a "famous" person in Albania.

Me, Agustine, Kao (Dentist)
At the Dentist

I first learned about Agustine (Albanian teenager)in February when Chris and Laura visited. I have been praying for him ever since, for his procedure approval at the Shriner’s Hospital in Springfield, Massachusetts (straightening his back), and then for his surgery once he was approved and then his healing. Such an testimony to God’s work! Been looking forward to meeting this 15 year old boy for 7 months now and what a sweetheart he is. Speaks excellent English, is very good with computers, has a great sense of humor and loves the Lord. His testimony has already been shared to so many people. Another missionary friend of Chris and Laura's came to Tirana for a week with his whole mobile dentist office set up. He set up shop in the downstairs of The Stephen Center and worked on the employees, local school kids  and Agustine. I happen to come down during Agustin’s visit, his first visit dentist ever.  The set up was quite impressive, from the sterilizing machine to the dentist chair made of cardboard. All to provide dental care to people who otherwise wouldn’t be able to have their teeth worked on. Kao (Dentist), asked if I wanted to be a dental assistant and had me use the suction wand while he was working on Agustine. That’s a hat I’ve never worn but I felt for Agustine and wanted to help speed up his first dental experience (shots, drilling and fillings).

New menu look
The menu update: We've been through 3 rounds of drafts with the menu. Applied some menu strategy as far as where the placement of certain cost items should go etc. I don’t know how many hours I spent in front of my computer but at one point I had to take a breather and walk down the road, pick up a treat for later, walk back to the restaurant, order a banana split, watch part of a football (soccer) game and that seemed to do the trick. I was able to get back to work and meet the goal I set for myself that night. It’s about 90% complete at this point, just a little tweaking here and there. Can’t wait to see the finished product, and hope my work on it blesses The Stephen Center. The staff has been so kind and helpful in working with me on this project, making it an enjoyable experience all around!
PS-In Norway now! :)

God Bless,

No comments:

Post a Comment