Monday, May 9, 2011

Auntie Lunch Date

A heartwarming auntie moment I just had to share. It is Razzle Dazzle Week at Picnic Point, my nephew Jayson’s elementary school. A week featuring one student in the class and this week it is Jayson! He made a poster with pictures of him and important facts about him like, his favorite color (blue) and so on. Jayson got to invite one person to come to school and have lunch with him and he picked me. Just hearing about this yesterday my eyes started tearing up. That just spoke love into my heart. In all fairness, I was Jayson’s second choice after his dad that couldn’t make it because of work.

Anyway, I packed my lunch; orange, pretzels, yogurt, a raspberry, chocolate, walnut scone I made yesterday for Mother’s Day and a bottle of water. I met him in the cafeteria at 11:30, sat down and had lunch. Zach from Jayson’s class sat next to him, Paige sat next to me and two other boys sat across from us. Then came the questions and all at once. “Do you know science, do you know timesing, what’s 200 times 600, what’s your favorite holiday, do you know about Alcatraz, what makes a parachute come down slowly, are you allergic to anything?” I just barley finished answering these questions to the best of my ability, while trying to eat my food before the 15 minute lunch period was over! At least I wasn't getting the, are you married?, do you have a husband? type of questions.
Oh, can’t forget about the boy sitting across from us, eating a hot dog on a whole wheat bun with ketchup, mustard zigzagged across the top. As lunch time progressed he neatly overlapped dill pickle slices on top of the hot dog then poked a few of his crunchy chow mien noodles into it, then Jayson suggested adding two of his baby carrots on the end to make it look like an animal- funny kid stuff.

We walked back to Jayson’s classroom and he showed me his desk, poetry book, explained why his teacher was putting marbles into a jar and the tallies on the board. And I guess he is in charge of the computers this week, not sure what that entails but is honorable, I’m sure. Having no idea of my role as lunch guest was or even if I get to talk to the class, I started thinking beforehand about what I would say. Previously, Jayson brought my Belizean money and the little souvenir I got him to show and tell, so I thought I would talk about Belize and of course Jesus. But that wasn’t in the cards- no evangelizing there :) and guess what, I also forgot to pray for our food at lunch! Holy moly, my one chance and I blew that opportunity, oops. I realized it when I got back to my car to leave and began praying for the school, teachers etc. Oh well, next time.

Silliness aside, it was a memorable lunch date for my nephew and me. Thank you Lord!

God Bless,

1 comment:

  1. Oh holy cow, I'm in tears right now. I just checked your blog to see if you have posted anything new, even though I know you all just arrived in NY just hours a few hours ago. I Had no idea you have posted since Belize. Silly me.

    I'm so touched right now, that you posted about your lunch with Jayson. Really warms my heart that his special lunch meant as much to you as it did to my sweet little man.

    I'm just sitting hear thinking how wonderfully blessed we all are. To be close to one another again. It's truly a God thing. I love you.

    ReplyDelete